|3903 N. St. Mary’s Street
San Antonio, TX 78212
San Antonio's first zoo consisted of a collection of animals assembled in San Pedro Park in the 1800s. In 1914, Colonel George W. Brackenridge, one of the city's leading citizens and founder of the San Antonio Express-News, placed buffalo, elk, deer, monkeys, a pair of lions, and four bears on land he had deeded over to the city in what is now known as Brackenridge Park. This collection became the San Antonio Zoo.
Throughout its history, the Zoo's volunteer leaders have not only provided generous financial support, they have also encouraged innovation. In November 1929, two of the first cageless exhibits in America--the Barless Bear Terraces and the Primate Paradise--opened, offering visitors unprecedented views of animals. When the Richard Friedrich Aquarium was dedicated in 1948, it was described in the local press as "the world's greatest." The Hixon Bird House, funded through the efforts of Colonel Frederick C. Hixon, opened in 1966, featuring a simulated tropical rain forest and free-flying birds. The Zoo's bird collection is now one of the world's largest.
Much about the San Antonio Zoo has changed since Colonel Brackenridge assembled his collection of animals in 1914. While the Colonel may not have imagined what the San Antonio Zoo would become, we can only hope that he would appreciate all that the Zoo has accomplished for the people of San Antonio, for science, for children, and for the Earth itself. For 98 years, the collective efforts of dedicated individuals have helped the San Antonio Zoo become one of the best zoos in the nation.
The San Antonio Zoo is non-profit organization. It is not city-owned. The Zoo is home to over 8,500 animals representing 779 species of animals on 56 acres. YOUR San Antonio Zoo will celebrate 100 years in 2014 and many changes are in the works for its zootennial celebration!
Open 365 days a year 9am - 5pm
Children 3 to 11 and Senior Citizens 62 and over $9.50
Children 2 and under free
Military discount $2.00 off